Thursday, May 2, 2019

Arkansas Symphony Youth Ensembles


We didn't think we'd still be around for Katherine's spring youth orchestra concert with one of our favorite conductors.  When I dropped her off for the rehearsal, I got attacked with hugs from several of the Conway students who perform in these ensembles.  This world of music still delights me.


What a gift to watch Katherine lead her cello section and to give her the opportunity to taste what it's like to be a small part of a mighty group working toward the same goal.


I looked down at my phone in between selections and saw that one of the orchestra teachers who mentored me in my first job had texted me this:

"Hey, I'm two rows behind you on the end!  Your daughter plays wonderfully.  Looks like you!"

During the intermission, I found Christie and hugged her neck.  She sure put up with a lot from me during my first few years of teaching orchestra.  


This concert is extra special because the most advanced orchestra joins the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra for a "side by side" concert.  Each student gets to share a stand with a professional musician.  My cello teacher still performs with the ASO, so after the concert, I ran towards the stage to tell him thank you and goodbye.


The auditorium was filled with people who have impacted my life:  family, students, teachers who instructed me as a student and who have walked next to me as a teacher.

No comments: