Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Gardenias

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to plan in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."  ~John Muir


When I see or smell gardenias, I think of my mama.  In the early summer months, her yard smells amazing, and she is generous in sharing fragrant bouquets.  When we bought a house in our hometown, she immediately planted several gardenia bushes that she had grown by "layering" her own plants.  And when those didn't grow well after several years, we transplanted them to a different part of our yard.  So many layers of symbolism and meaning for me in this simple white flower.


When I stopped by the hospital after dropping Aaron off at the wharf last month, I was flabbergasted to find my favorite flowers growing in front of the emergency room.  So, I did what any good Solomon Islander would do and broke off a twig, took it home, and placed it in a jar of water. 


Now that little twig is growing like crazy and thriving in a pot of dirt.  I love how well things grow in this environment, regardless of my brown thumbs.  Reminds me of one of my favorite verses:

"...just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."  
Colossians 2:6-7

1 comment:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh how I love that smell! They don't grow here :o(