Thursday, December 17, 2009

catching up

Oh, it's nice to be almost healthy again!  I'm amazed at how much I take good health for granted.  We've been trucking along with school and language learning.  Last Friday, Aaron participated in a community cleanup to hack through the bush behind the church.  It turned into a lovely clearing shaded by towering trees.  From some of the trees that were cut down, short logs were set on end to create seating for the Christmas program arena.
 
One afternoon early this week, I was visiting with Eileen when several neighborhood boys carried up a big sea turtle from the shore.  I hustled to get Aaron so he could learn how they catch and prepare the turtle.  Later that evening, we enjoyed some yummy turtle soup!
 
Thomas started our kitchen Monday, but he hasn't been back since.  He is Felta's brother, and she has asked our family to pray for him.  He has converted to Islam.  Would you please pray for the Lord to soften his heart toward Jesus again ?  Eileen told me that Thomas was cutting poles to put on our roof to hold the leaves in place.  We're hoping he can finish the kitchen quickly because I need some practice before cooking for all of the Christmas guests.  Marulaon is expecting hundreds of visitors next week as all of the villages in our district come to celebrate Christmas together.
 
Our front rain tank is empty again, so we again ask for your prayers, especially with the extras coming next week.  Everyone in Marulaon has been working hard to prepare for the visitors.  I've seen lots of sleeping mats being made, the weeding and burning has increased, and Melissa came to borrow thread because she was making a pillow from Kapok seeds for her guests.  Nobody knows for sure who will stay with them.  Our village is divided into three groups, and each group will care for specific villages.  The umalau and obikola that I planted last summer will be harvested next week to help provide food for the extra Lavukal, and everybody has been bringing extra coconuts and root crops home to feed extra mouths.
 
 

3 comments:

Nahna said...

Christmas will be full for you, but what a wonderful way to celebrate the birth of our lord Jesus.

I continue to be amazed at all you all are doing.

Love you,
Merry Christmas...
Hahna

Tell my birthday boy that I am praying an extra prayer for his birthday.

Amy Tollison said...

mailed some packages for you guys today...my timing lately has been terrible...hopefully you'll get it before next Christmas!!! :) SORRY!!!

Amy T.

The dB family said...

Ahhhh! I was admiring the turtle only to discover he'd been made into soup :o). I think that is one dish where it would be much better if I didn't know what I was eating until I was finished.

Blessings!
Deborah