Sunday, December 6, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



For Today...Monday, December 7

Outside my window...a new path through our yard to the water tank that Aaron created this morning, mango trees in bloom with lacy red flowers, sunshine, & wispy clouds in the blue sky, kids going out to swim now that they've finished their school work

I am thinking...about Pearl Harbor and the many veterans I know

From the learning rooms...finishing up Sonlight's Core 4 with a day off on Friday to celebrate and regroup
I am thankful for...help.  From my family, from my friends, from the Lord.

From the kitchen...we've enjoyed lots of green coconuts as people have realized that we really like to drink them and then scoop out the soft white flesh to eat

I am wearing...comfy work clothes saturated with sweat

I am reading..."The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer", it's a deep and slow read

I am hoping...to really learn some more Lavukaleve this week.  Life is keeping me busy and leaves little energy for the mind or body to engage in language learning.
Pondering these words...in the spirit of Advent - "Be silent, and listen to God.  Let your heart be in such a state of preparation that His Spirit may impress upon you such virtues that will please Him.  Let all within you listen to Him.  The silence of all outward and earthly affection and of human thoughts within us is essential if we are to hear His voice."  Francois Fenelon
 
Around the house...a clean bathroom, clean windows, and a clean floor (evidence of a hard morning's work by Naris and me)

One of my favorite things...friendship: old, new, faraway, or close at hand

A few plans for the rest of the week...paddling across to Pavuvu and then walking to Point 6 to Wednesday's market so I can meet more people, a community weeding day on Thursday to prepare for the big Christmas celebration here, starting to build our new outdoor kitchen with the help of Felta's brother, Thomas
 

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...
Sarah was inspired after reading Jan Brett's "Gingerbread Friends", so yesterday she followed the recipe in the book and whipped up a batch of gingerbread men all by herself.  The others decided to join her (like the "little red hens" they are) to decorate and eat their treats.
 

3 comments:

Kecia said...

We made gingerbread men this week, too. :) I'd love to try green coconut someday--my friend Angie grew up on St. Vincent in the southern Caribbean, and she told me about it. Made it sound so good!
Always love your pictures. :)

Abi's Blog said...

I wonder if it is hard to celebrate Christmas when it is so warm there. It looks like the children are enjoying the gingerbread though. And later - I read where you paddled across the ocean in a canoe... well, I guess not completely across :) - You are so brave - of course I'm scared to death of water - I wouldn't want to paddle across Gilmer Lake. :) Love and Christmas wishes,
Ava

The dB family said...

It makes me smile to see little ones in sundresses and shirtless decorating gingerbread men.

The advent quote is beautiful!!

Blessings!
Deborah