Thursday, April 8, 2010

rain tanks and ovikola

Thrusday, April 8
Katherine's new favorite book is Eric Carle's "House for Hermit Crab".  She loves hermit crabs (kokovan) and when she finds one she loudly yells "kokovan!".  Carle obviously did his research for the book; it is amazingly accurate. Because many of the animals live in the surraounding waters of Marulaon, Katherine knows the Lavukaleve names for the animals like sea stars - they really are blue -  (soka) and sea urchins (una).
 
Friday, April 9
It's a beautiful sunny day today, so we're all getting outside to work.  Aaron is continuing to prepare the ground to receive the posts to support the raintank, and I just sent the kids outside to take a little break from school and work in the yard. 
 
Each time we come back to Marulaon, our housegirl situation is a little different.  None of the ladies who have helped before are in Marulaon right now (except for one who is very busy taking care of her mom and children).  So, this time we have gotten to know two young ladies, Barret and Jemilin,  as they've helped me learn how to take care of my yard and garden.  They alternate weeks, coming on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.  Barret has been helping us this week, and I'm continuing to learn a lot about what my neighbors' idea of a "nice yard" looks like.  Today, she harvested four clumps of ovikola (cassava), two to scrape into lelenga tomorrow and two to send with Aaron on his trip to three other villages this weekend.  I'm so thankful for the ladies who are willing to teach me and help me plant flowers and grow food for my family!
 
Sarah Kiko should be coming this afternoon to help me with language learning, and I'm looking forward to getting some more recordings from her.

2 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Hi Katherine, I like the Hermit Crab book too! You are blessed to have the real thing to play with. My students just got to hold a beanie baby crab while they read the book! Have a good day. Eli, Henry, Ethan and I are working in the garden today.
Love,
Ava

Cindy said...

I'll be praying for your language learning. I can already tell that you are much more comfortable in the language.