Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Marulaon Daybook

For Today...Monday, March 14

Outside my window...the cyclone has passed, the sky is blue, and the winds are calm; lots of blooms on our melon and pumpkin vines

I am thinking...about the different kinds of things that come through the laundry.  This morning, it was lentils.  Benjamin busted a home-made bean bag on his bed, and I washed his sheets today.

I am praying for...the rescue efforts in Japan

I am going...to dig up some more umalau this week to make soup

From the learning rooms...Mesopotamia, Professor Noggin's Ancient Civilizations game (we love it!), cohesion & adhesion (Sarah and Benjamin), weather (Olivia and Katherine); Sarah - quickly finishing up Teaching Textbooks 7, active voice vs. passive voice, Benjamin - finding unknown angles, similes, learning the five parts of the friendly letter, Olivia - renaming over several place values, capitalization, Katherine - letter K, learning about appropriate clothes for different types of weather (it's kinda hard to explain cold weather to her!)

I am thankful for...the prayers of people around the world on our behalf

I am remembering...going to see the daffodils on Wye Mountain in Arkansas

From the kitchen...apple puff pancake for breakfast, cornbread and black-eyed peas with the last of the summer sausage my parents brought for lunch, and precious carrot sticks accompanied by cheese and crackers for supper

I am hoping...that the soreness in my right ear isn't an indication of a forthcoming earache, they seem to plague me here in Marulaon

I am creating...lots of snowflake stitches on a red gingham tablecloth.

On my mind...my sister and her baby traveling down to visit family this week and how much I wish I could be there

Noticing that...many of our neighbors took advantage of the high copra prices while we were gone to purchase small solar panels to run a light or two at night

I am hearing..."St. John's Passion" by J.S. Bach

Around the house...the few Easter decorations we brought are out now, pulling out the pastel colors wherever I can to pretend that Spring is just around the corner

One of my favorite things...starting the day with a clean kitchen and a quiet house that slowly eases into the day with soft music and the whispers of Colossians being memorized

A few plans for the rest of the week...still have to clean all of the school books and shelves (probably our least favorite task upon arrival), meeting with the three sisters (Kiko, Grace, and Daisy) to exchange English lessons for Lavukaleve lessons)

A picture thought I am sharing with you...my three girls in headbands that came in a box from my college roommate

three_muskateers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of us, Jo! Hopefully the early hour will take some of the wiggle out of Mr. Wiggles as we travel. I thought you should know: we're going to take pictures at Wye Mountain. Watch for one to show up in the big birthday box (which I will send your way as soon as we can afford it--hopefully by your birthday!).

I can't wait to show Katherine what cold weather is like. :-)

Love,
Liss

Nahna said...

God's blessings on those wonderful kids. I know Benjamin does not need a headband, but I miss him in the picture. Love you all.

The dB family said...

I love these posts. It kind of gives us a bird's eye view of your day.

Blessings!
Deborah