Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sweet Saturday


The joy of friendship!  We love coordinating our time in Honiara with the only other SITAG family in country with children.  Being in town at the same time means slumber parties where we swap boys and girls and I get a room full of five beautiful girls watching Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" (the 1957 version with Julie Andrews) late at night.
 


Then those beautiful girls were awake bright and early to make pumpkin donuts, because we have to work hard to pretend that Autumn is just around the corner.  Being in town at the same time also means joint trips to Honiara's Central Market.  Going to market often feels like going out to fight because you are pushing your way through crowds, guarding your purse, and hauling huge, heavy baskets full of food.
 


But the market is also full of God's creation of a variety and colorful abundance of people and food.  Market is a feast for the eyes as well as a feast for the tummy.  And this morning, I had a great friend along to share conversation and the kilometers on the SITAG vehicle.
 


Most of the bell peppers we find here are called capsicum on this side of the world and are much smaller than we are used to buying in America.  So when I found some good sized peppers at market this morning, I was willing to pay a little bit extra because I knew exactly what I wanted to make for supper.  My former meal plan went out the window!  My sweet friend helped me pick out the best peppers, and she and I both came back to SITAG with plans for stuffed peppers.
 

I pulled out my mama's stained recipe for meat loaf, and Katherine and I made supper together.  I love seeing Mama's handwriting, what a great gift for me and my family.  Sweet Saturday, indeed!

1 comment:

Abi's Blog said...

Ahhh...it was good to catch up on your blog today! It almost feels like I was right there with you. Missed you in Canton this month. I think this is the first time I've been since we went together. Love your mom's recipe.
Love and blessings and lots of prayers,
Ava