Monday, May 10, 2010

Honiara Womans' Daybook

Please visit Peggy who encourages us to record our days.
For today...Monday, May 10
Outside my window...bright sunshine drying the clothes on the line and giving the kids a beautiful afternoon in which to enjoy playing with friends
I am thinking...about the amazing lunch we enjoyed today with Nahna and Papa. The restaurant where we wanted to eat for lunch was closed, so we went to an "Oriental" place we had never tried before. One of the things we ordered some crab cooked with ginger and shallots, and I don't know why I expected the crab to be already taken out of its shell. Guess I still think like an American. When it arrived, it was our favorite kind from Marulaon (kaful), and it sat there whole in all of its glory (they had tapped it apart to make it easy to get to the meat). Yum, yum, yum!
Noticing that...Honiara feels like a luxury resort after living in the village, especially with internet access. I love catching up with everybody!
I am thankful for...the grader that came down our road today making tomorrow's walking path much easier to navigate
I am wearing...a new, blindingly white t-shirt (thanks, mama), and a Laura Ashley skirt with embroidered details that I found at a second-hand store here in Honiara for a little more than a dollar
I am reading...Victoria's March/April edition, a birthday present courtesy of a sweet friend in Kansas. What a treat!
I am hoping...and praying that we can find my curriculum notebook (containing twelve weeks of curriculum for three children - school for Honiara and things to prepare for our next trip to Marulaon)
Pondering these words...To want what we don't have is impatience, for one thing, and it is to mistrust God. Is He not in complete control of all circumstances, events, and conditions? If some are beyond His control, He is not God....Spiritual victories are won in the quiet acceptance of ordinary events, which are God's "bright servants", standing all around us. --Elisabeth Elliot
I am hearing...ceiling fans, kids playing games inside and outside
Around the house...still unpacking boxes and restocking the pantry
One of my favorite things...fresh strawberries. No such thing here in tropical Honiara, so I'm living vicariously through a friend in Texas.
A few plans for the rest of the week...take Nahna and Papa to the airport tomorrow, finish unpacking, take a new SITAG couple grocery shopping Wednesday morning, start back to school with the kinds
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...my beautiful flowers brought to me by my amazing husband for Mother's Day




4 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Sure wish I could bring you a whole basket of strawberries and a bouquet of Texas wildflowers, but the wildflowers you have there are beautiful - that was a sweet bouquet Aaron brought you (I guess they are wild?) Prayers, Ava

The dB family said...

They're beautiful! What kind are they? I hope you find your curriculum book soon! A Laura Ashley skirt for less than a dollar!? Awesome!

Blessings!
Deborah

Kecia said...

I love Victoria! And Laura Ashley! Neither one exist in my life anymore, but I love them just the same. Prayed that you find your notebook-

Anonymous said...

What beautiful flowers!