Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saturday, March 19

As long as I've known my amazing husband, he has recharged by spending time alone.  He just isn't a people person.  For example, he learns language best by studying his notes, where I learn better by going out and visiting with my friends.  He has learned to adjust since going into full-time ministry, even fooling some of our friends.  Yesterday, Aaron left the house about 6:45 for morning prayer and came home for a bowl of granola about 8:30.  Then, he quickly left again to attend a farewell gathering with lots of singing and dancing.  He came home for lunch, and we were just finishing when Ezekiel showed up to visit a little before 1 p.m.  Aaron and Ezekiel talked for more than four hours - shooting the breeze and discussing Bible translation for the Lavukal.  As soon as evening prayer finished, Moses came by to ask for some nails.  Aaron had recently been looking for him to discuss some things about translation, so the two sat on the porch for a while.  When Aaron came back in, I told him I was surprised he wasn't mute with all of the talking and interacting with people he had done.  I'm so proud of him!

Today, we enjoyed a market with great variety.  Lots of bananas showed up.  I guess my comments about not having any bananas to make banana cake finally caused some action!  When I came back to the house, Fosta was sitting at the bottom of the steps with Katherine, Benjamin, and Sarah playing "market" or "elav" as Katherine calls it.  Elav is the word for "how much".  Fosta was holding Katherine's baby doll in her lava-lava.  It was so cute! 

Katherine and Foster

I looked down the hill and saw Dawa, Naris' husband, holding their new baby.  They were in the ila (hammock) together and playing so sweetly.  I love to see daddies interacting with their children. david and rubin

Since gas for our oven (gas also fuels the fridge) is so expensive and not refillable here in Marulaon, we try to bake with a full oven whenever possible.  This morning, Sarah and I made banana cake for the neighbors, a couple of loaves of banana bread for us, bierrocks for lunch, and granola bars.  Sarah also mixed up a batch of chocolate Hamantashen to let the dough chill for Purim tomorrow.  Now, I'm getting ready to put the lelenga together and get all smoky in my outside kitchen.  We'll enjoy sharing the lelenga tomorrow after church.

No comments: