Thursday, March 31, 2011

Marulaon Daybook

For Today...Monday, March 28
Outside my window...the kino blooming like crazy, new Chinese cabbage and bell pepper plants growing big in pots on the porch and awaiting transplanting, pineapple tops waiting for me to plant them, my basil is turning brown and succumbing to the aphids
I am thinking...about the beautiful red siviroko birds that were fighting over the kino blooms yesterday as I hung out laundry to dry.  Their brilliant red plumage stood out vividly against the white blooms.
I am wearing...I always laugh at this one!  In the village, my clothes are inevitably loose, stained, sweaty, stinky, and mismatched.  I fit right in with my neighbors!
I am praying for...Aaron's big seven village tour to the East Russells on Wednesday
I am going...to meet with Margaret today for a language learning session
From the learning rooms...celebrating letter L with Katherine, Ancient China, Indus Valley, Ancient Egypt as we hang out in the "thousands BC" for a little while
I am thankful for...my three year old who hears the Bible text read in Pijin in church, turns to the correct page in her picture Bible, looks up at her Daddy, and grins
I am remembering...the irises that should be blooming soon in the courtyard of our sending church in Memphis
From the kitchen...granola for breakfast, curried lentils, pumpkin leaves, and fresh pineapple for lunch, leftovers for supper.  Sarah, Katherine and I made lollipops for letter L week, too.
I am reading..."Her Mother's Hope" and "Her Daughter's Dream" both by Francine Rivers, on loan from a SITAG friend
I am hoping...to have some quiet evenings so we can sleep well again.  Enough sleep makes such a difference in my day.
I am creating...more snowflake stitches.  It's a big tablecloth!
On my mind...trying to carve out a little one on one time with each of the kids. 
Noticing that...we have some new baby pumpkins on our vines – finally
Pondering these words..."They travel lightly whom God's grace carries."  Thomas a Kempis
I am hearing...the wind chimes on this breezy day, the lunch dishes being washed, kids chattering and anticipating eating the lollipops
Around the house...gingersnaps that just came out of the oven to take to Margaret as a thank you and six lemons that we bought at market.  They are the first lemons we've seen in the Solomons, and just in time for letter L week. 
One of my favorite things...ten year old boys that get so dirty playing that you could grow flowers in the crease of their neck.
A few plans for the rest of the week...language learning with Margaret this afternoon, harvesting the rest of the umalau close to the house with Eta tomorrow morning, Aaron going to the East Russells on Wednesday, learning how to copra on Thursday (we're in group four, so that's our day!), and silently weeding with the community for penance on Friday
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...snowflake stitches on the tablecloth
snowflake stitching

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, your tablecloth is beautiful! I'd been hoping you'd post a photo of your snowflake stitches. It must feel a bit incongruous in the tropical climate, yah? ;D

Love hearing about village life,

Julie

Kecia said...

I love when God sends us hugs like sending lemons just in time for L week! He is so good.