Monday, March 7, 2011

Sunday, March 6

We just came in from church a little bit ago, so I thought I would try e-mail.  Thankfully, it's been working fairly well!

Yesterday was a great day.  Leku came and helped us motu (or burn, as they say, since we don't use any water or coconut cream) umalau (sweet potato) and ubikola (cassava).  When I went to take the munuv leaves for the motu, I made a foolish mistake.  I KNOW that kukuia, those nasty little acid ants that burn like fire, live in the munuv tree.  But I still whacked at the branch while I stood underneath, just as Isabella walked by.  Suddenly, I had a shower of ants all over my face and chest.  I was thankful to be wearing my glasses!  I quickly passed the knife to Benjamin and raced inside for a quick shower.  When I came back outside, Leku and Isabella both exclaimed at how red my neck and chest were.  I guess they aren't used to seeing skin react quite so brilliantly!

Later in the afternoon, I took a break from cleaning to walk around and visit with several of my friends.  I got lots of language data and laughed a whole bunch. 

This morning at church, Aaron officially handed over the rain tank to the community.  Now it will be up to them to build a platform and install the tank.  In just a little bit, he will be leaving to go pick up Henk and Margreet in Yandina on the other side of the Russells.  The Bikoi still isn't running, so they took a different ship which only stops in the East Russells on its way to the West. The motor canoe ride is about 45 minutes one way, and Aaron was able to find someone else going already to split the price of petrol.    We're really looking forward to their visit and to all of the little things they fix while they are here.  They have been a huge blessing to all of us at SITAG, and we are so thankful for them!

2 comments:

Nahna said...

Did everyone get back for the other side of the Russells in good shape?
Prayers and hugs.

Cindy said...

Yuk for kukuia! Glad you're OK. I'm so glad we got to come visit, so when I read your blog I can "see" it in my mind. I love you so much. Mama