Sunday, April 17, 2011

Friday, April 15

Today instead of an hour's silent penance from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., our whole village worked for several hours in a massive village cleanup.  Making noise was okay this time, and I enjoyed hearing people sing and visit while they worked.  It was certainly easier for the kids not to have to be silent, and I liked being able to ask questions when I didn't know exactly what to do.  Each of us worked a little, then came back to the house to do math or get a drink or punch down the bread, but the whole community worked until almost noon.  Now our village looks so much better!  We have a grass knife (the village version of a lawn mower), two bush knives (his and hers), and several rakes that we have brought out to Marulaon to help with cleanup, and all of these were put to good use this morning.
penance
After the kids finished school, I headed out to see who I could find available to visit.  I met Grace Delight (isn't that a great name?!?), Kiko's sister, as I was coming down the hill toward her house.  We visited on the path for a little bit, then she actually asked me what time it was.  Our neighbors NEVER use clock time - in fact, they joke about "Solomon Time".  I told her what time it was, then she said, "Oh, it's too late to get any work done now.  Let's go story!"  So we went down and sat by her house and talked for more than an hour before I had to go back to the house for radio sked.  What a great afternoon!

No comments: