Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Honiara Woman's Daybook

Just for today...Tuesday, August 20
 
Outside my window...Katherine noticed the delicate white butterfly sipping the bougainvillea flowers
 
 
From the learning rooms... "Pocahontas" by Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire; John Smith, James I of England, the Pilgrims
 

On my bookshelf... "Dearie:  The Remarkable Life of Julia Child" by Bob Spitz.  This book is over 500 pages of pure delight for a bibliophile foodie like me!
 
Noticing that...ants will build their nests just about anywhere!  In the box where I keep my icing tips or in the front of my favorite cookbook, at least they have good taste.

 
 
One of my favorite things...Coffee-mate's Pantry Pack creamers.  I shipped two hazelnut creamers in our crate, and now I wish I'd shipped about twenty!  They are especially nice in my mug from a friend in Texas reminding me that I'm getting prayers ever day from the other side of the Pacific.

 
Pondering these words..."To it all we say, by His loving enabling, I trust.  Let us be content with our Lord's will, and tell Him so, and not disappoint Him by wishing for anything He does not give."
~Amy Carmichael
 
Crafting in the kitchen...some colleagues are coming in from the village tonight, so we're making some chicken and pumpkin stew in the crockpot so it will be ready to welcome them back to Honiara whatever time they return.
 
A peek into my corner of the world...a fun science experiment that Sarah and Benjamin did.  Do you know how hydrogen peroxide and yeast react when mixed?  Our kids do now!  Benjamin couldn't hold the bottle because it was so hot.

 

5 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

Looks like a wonderful day. I love your mug, I am enjoying coffee out of a special mug I got in May:)

I had no idea that the bottle got hot! I need to remember that. We have been having fun with science too, I realized that Lenna's science book moved up to using a microscope right before school started and got one ordered. The kids are loving looking at everything through it!

Have an awesome week friend!

Anonymous said...

I love your science experiments! They make me want to do this kind of thing with Shannon.

Love,
Liss

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I love seeing into your days :D We'll have to try the yeast and peroxide! (Maybe outside!)

Julie

Anonymous said...

Great photos once again. I have also done that experiment with my students, however another combination of chemicals . We put about 1/4 of a cup of vinegar in the bottom of a water bottle, and then we filled a latex balloon up with baking soda. You carefully attach the balloon to the top of the bottle without letting any of the soda down into the bottom. Then once attached, all at once you lift the balloon and let the soda pour into the bottle. It will be the same response EXCEPT... a cool bottle. Might be a neat compare and contrast writing activity.
Serena

us5 said...

the quote by Amy Carmichael is a keeper...perfect for me these days! thanks for sharing it. ♥