Monday, August 26, 2013

Honiara Woman's Daybook

Just for today...Monday, August 26
 
Outside my window...a rain shower just sprang up!  The wind had been blowing gale force, and all of the sudden we smelled rain and ran to bring the clothes in off the line.  Yay for rain!
 
From the learning rooms...reading "Starry Messenger" with Katherine.  She was fascinated that Galileo was living at the same time as Pocahontas.  Also enjoying the classic "Witch of Blackbird Pond" as a read-aloud.  We are still in the 1600's and loving it!
 
Praying for...a sweet Solomon Island sister who just cried and cried on my shoulder this morning.  She lost a baby while we were on furlough, and her pain is still so fresh.
 
On my bookshelf...still enjoying "Dearie" by Bob Spitz.
 

Noticing that...I love having creative girls around.  They transformed our concrete steps into a garden of chalk flowers.
 
I am hearing..."Art and Music:  Rembrandt".  We found the most fascinating series of CDs when we were at the Arkansas Arts Center with grandparents.  I'm looking forward to getting more in this series as we travel through history.
 
One of my favorite things...chocolate lava cake to celebrate the anniversary of Krakatoa's explosion in 1883
 
Pondering these words..."I think reading aloud together in a family...is the most together thing a family can do....It gives the family a background for thinking and growing in their concepts and understanding, together, rather than always separately."
 ~Edith Schaeffer

Crafting in the kitchen...curried chicken and apples in the crockpot with chocolate lava cake for dessert to welcome some of our SITAG colleagues back to Honiara after some meetings in Australia
 
A peek into my corner of the world... we finished off one of the helpful gifts that sweet friends sent across the ocean with us.


Not only was one of their gifts good for our bodies, it was good for our souls as well.
 

3 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

I love the new flower garden:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, that may be the most creative chalking I've seen in a while! Very cute. --Liss

Leslie said...

I love your artfully chalked concrete steps!