Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sweet Sabbath

"Batter my heart, three-person'd God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new..."
~John Donne
 
Within twelve hours, I discovered both the moving poem "Batter My Heart" and Gerald Finley (one of our favorite baritones) singing "Batter My Heart" (from Dr. Atomic by John Adams).  The Lord knew I needed the reminder, just like the children of Israel needed Jeremiah:
 
My friend, Kayla, is learning how to make pottery & sent me this picture not knowing that God was working on my heart
 
So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel.  But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.  Then the word of the Lord came to me:  "Oh house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?"  declares the Lord.  "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel."  Jeremiah 18:3-6
 
Thank You, Lord, for sending sweet reminders like poetry, music, friends, and, most of all, the Bible to teach me about Your faithfulness.

2 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Praying for my sweet friend! Know what we were doing a year ago? Preparing to go to Canton. :)
Blessings,
Ava

Bartokhound said...

I love how you see the world, sweet friend! I must admit to cringing a bit at seeing my very first pot. As always, though, my husband lent great perspective: as my very first pot was for me - clay in such inexperienced hands - is somewhat indicative of the simplistic, often limited design my life is when I take the reins. When I hand the clay of my life over to the Master Potter? Well, He alone can make something far more beautiful than I can conceive!

Thank you for marrying Donne, God's Word found in Jeremiah and, of all things, my sad, little bowl to bring it all together for His glory. Hallelujah!

Lots of love,

Kayla