Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Engaged in the work God has for us in the present moment...


"In my preoccupation with efficiency, I miss much that God wants to do in my life and say to me in the moment.  Hurry rushes toward the destination and fails to enjoy the journey.  Adding to the addiction to speed are cultural assumptions about hurry that are built into our mindset.  We have a bias toward hurry.  Ours is a culture that values speed, efficiency and quickness.  Waiting is bad.  Getting what we want now is good.  Period.  We don't stop to ask if what we're getting is even what we most deeply desire.  Hurry is a way of life in which advertisers have been mentoring us for years!" 



When I worked outside the home full-time last year, each day was already scripted for me.  Four schools in eight hours meant go-go-go all day, then coming back to the house to finish school with the girls and doing home things before falling into bed.  It was a full and good season.  So many of you understand what this feels like.  Now that I'm only subbing for orchestra, I have many more decisions to make with my time and energy, and I find that choosing how to invest during this season is more difficult!

"Being unhurried does not at all mean being unresponsive to diving nudges.  Being unhurried enables us to notice those nudges and to respond."  ~Fadling


So, I find myself still hanging out in Colossians and praying the apostle Paul's words from chapter one:  "We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way..."  


What that has looked like in our daily lives recently is grading music theory tests as I sub, driving to visit Aaron's grandmother and giving her a brief concert, completing daily school work (as well as exciting things like the PSAT) with the girls, Aaron flying to Bangkok for global leadership meetings, and sharing Taco Tuesday with my grandmother.  Every day is a new adventure when I'm asking expectantly how to use each hour!  And this is my goal:  "Living each moment in the light of eternity enables us to remain unhurried and engaged in the work God has for us in the present moment."

No comments: