Thursday, March 28, 2019

Stained glass

"The weakness of pride lies after all in this; that oneself is a window.  It can be a colored window, if you will; but the more thickly you lay on the colors the less of a window it will be.  The two things to be done with a window are to wash it and then forget it.  So the truly pious have always said the two things to do personally are to cleanse and to forget oneself."  
~ G.K. Chesterton


We read this quote in our breakfast Lenten devotional yesterday.  I realize that every analogy breaks down if analyzed too much, but I immediately wanted to find some stained glass.  I searched my favorite antique shop but balked at paying so much money.  Then I remembered that my mom had a panel of stained glass that she found in the house when they purchased the property in 1981.  I immediately called her and asked to borrow it.  When she heard why I wanted stained glass, she carried the analogy even further...this window pane is broken, and so are we.  

No comments: