Saturday, August 8, 2020

On My Virtual Bookshelf

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingslover.  I totally embrace her reasons for choosing to be self sustaining for a year, but I don't see myself trying it.  I am, however, strengthening my resolve to eat local, especially when we return to America next year, and to eat ethically, particularly when it comes to meat and feedlots.  Arkansas has local rice producers, too, and our hometown boasts an incredible Community Supported Agriculture.

"Food brings people together.  Where bread is broken, trust follows."  

~Barbara Kingslover

-Life Together in Christ by Ruth Haley Barton.  Aaron and I have lived in communities most of our married life, so it takes some adjusting to move back to America where the neighbors hardly know each other and nobody ever borrows an egg.  I'm learning everything I can because I think authenticity and community are key to healthy and whole people.  Including me.

"When our dreams and convictions about what we think community should be are dashed against the jagged reef of human limitations and failure to live up to one another's needs and expectations, then and only then are we ready to accept the fact that Christian community is not about us at all.  It is about the transforming presence of Christ -- all he will do in and and through and for each of us."  

~Ruth Haley Barton

No comments: