Friday, September 5, 2014

God knew that I had been in need of encouragement lately.  There's been a measles outbreak in Honiara, my head has been pounding because I really need new glasses, and I think I just overdid it last week while Aaron was in Marulaon.  God made us whole people, so when I'm exhausted physically, it affects every part of me.  But as Elisabeth Elliot says:
 
"There is no hope for any of us until we confess our helplessness.  Then we are in a position to receive grace.  So as long as we see ourselves as competent, we do not qualify."


I'm helpless.  No doubt about it.  And the Lord sent some grace my way this week!  First, His Word comforted me:  "May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.  Let your compassion come to me that I my live, for your law is my delight." 
Psalm 119:76-77
 
Then, a lovely care package arrived in the mail.  I love it when friends of ours meet other friends of ours, and that's what happened in Barnes and Noble (one of our favorite places!) in Texas a few weeks ago.  So one friend sent a message from another friend and made us smile.
 


The package also included coffee from our favorite coffee house from furlough:  White Rhino   When Aaron and Katherine were packing up the house in Texas last year, this is the picture they sent me from White Rhino while I chaperoned the big kids' choir tour:
 

And fruit loop necklaces (also in the care package) always make me happy!
 


My dear SITAG colleague & friend has ministered grace to me this week as we've exercised early in the mornings and poured ourselves out for our families throughout each day.  I've "stumbled" (thanks, Lord!) upon some great websites this week, too, and they have encouraged me, too:
 
 - A Life Overseas hits my "cross-cultural spot" as we try to find the balance of maintaining some of our passport culture while fully embracing our current culture.
 
-Pumpkin Recipes and Willow Bird Baking Autumn recipes, my discovery coincided with a bumper (which means cheap!) crop of pumpkin here in Honiara and the arrival of a shipment of apples, so now our house smells like Autumn even if it doesn't feel like it.
 
What has encouraged you this week?

2 comments:

Bartokhound said...

Joanna,

Sending much love and encouragement your way.

This may not be the most appropriate post in which to share this, but Jason and I, along with the ENMU Choirs, have nominated your whole family for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, which we took today. We've already donated in your name, so no worries there. If you're game, we'd love to see you guys take the plunge - ice water (usually in a bucket, but a cup will do) poured over each of your heads. Sounds fun! And what great photos those would make on your blog, right? No pressure, but if you're game, you can wait a while until you guys feel like it. Our choir really hopes to see you guys do this halfway around the world, though!

I emailed you with more details.

Lots of love,

Jayla

Leslie said...

The Lord is so good to know right when you need an extra bit of love from Him through His people. This has been a hard week for me, too, and the encouragement of a husband who will pray for me and friends who care has been God's gift to me. Hugs from Texas,Leslie