Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Saturday, November 8

Market this morning was wonderful!  Our friends are so gracious to bring us the fruits and veggies we need to keep our bodies strong and healthy.
market SAT(Joanna at market - photo credit to Edi)
After market, I had some great chances to visit with friends.  One of my friends wanted a sewing machine needle, one needed a band-aid, another wanted an onion.  I was also asked to give some material to make shorts for her grandson, and I got to check up on a friend to whom I gave medicine for tinea a few days ago.  We've had the opportunity to share lots of things in our short time in the village!  I also heard good feedback about our willingness to share banana cake with our neighbors, and I was able to remind my friends that sharing banana cake is a good way for me to say thank you for all of the ways my neighbors give to me.
Edi Scraping cocounut SAT
As always, Saturday means making lelenga at our house!  Edi got her first taste of scraping coconut - she did a great job.  In fact, she was scraping one after another until I warned her to stop so she didn't get blisters on her hands. 
Edi's hands SAT
We ran out of cassava close to the house, so Sarah, Edi, and I made a quick trip out to the bush garden to dig up a few more heaps.  While we were there, we found that a nice big pineapple we left to ripen had been taken in the last 36 hours.  I was a little bummed.  In the midst of making lelenga, we made lots and lots of copies for Fly Harbour School's exams next week.  Edi did most of the work, freeing up Aaron and me to work on other things.  I don't think Edi included scraping coconuts or making copies on her job description when she was getting ready to come to Marulaon Village, but we are so thankful she is here!

No comments: