Friday, April 26, 2013

Kids, not grass

 
One of my favorite Family Circus cartoons shows the dad in the yard in a variety of scenarios with his children.
 

In each scene, the children are having a blast, and the grass gets more worn and torn up.
 


The last frame of the cartoon shows a neighbor leaning over the fence and telling the dad that his grass would look better if he'd quit playing outside with his kids.
 


I love the reply, "We're not raising grass, we're raising children."
 


 
This duo of dads played hard with their kids this afternoon.  Amid the shrieks of laughter and the happy flushed cheeks,
 


I was reminded of how these dads are intentionally raising great kids and investing their time and energy in things that will have an eternal impact.  Not grass.
 


2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great looking park. And I remember that Family Circus. It's a good reminder even for moms of big kids like me. My children may leave a lot of things undone around the house due to busy schedules, work, school and so forth and it can be frustrating, but I remind myself that there will come a day when things stay done because the children have left home..... :(

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Amen, amen, and amen! (If you could see the back corner of our yard... ;D)

Julie