Sunday, May 7, 2017

Re-entry and the mind


Lots of airplane trips mean I get extra time to read.  I borrowed this one from my thoughtful hubby, and The Seven Faith Tribes surprised me by its content.  This is a perfect read to help me transition back to America.
 

"Ours is a land of endless distractions, diversions, and seductions that tend to draw people away from their moral centers.  Purity of belief or behavior is a challenge whose difficulty is constantly underestimated." 
~George Barna
 
I feel this keenly.  Even in our suspended reality as we travel around the country.  The distractions and diversions that are already bombarding my brain shock me, even though my hospitable friend, Julie, is providing a cocoon of sorts for us as we continue to adjust to life in America.
 
 
This morning, I was reading in Romans chapter eight, and verses five and six jumped out at me with their reminder to be intentional about guarding my mind:
 
"Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires  The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace." 
 
We attended church with Julie and her family this morning.  What a beautiful place to worship, especially as the little chapel filled up with voices when we sang together.  The pastor preached from the beginning of Colossians chapter three (one of my favorite chapters in the whole Bible):
 
"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hid with Christ in God."
 
There it was again!  I've grown lax in the protection and preparation of my mind, and I'm feeling the results.  To fight back, I'm praying for discernment, making intentional choices to fill my mind with things that point me to God's Word, and asking for accountability. 
 

No comments: