Friday, August 7, 2009

Old Shoes

For some years now, my mama has called Aaron and me "a pair of old shoes" because we've been a comfortable pair for so long. Well, my "old shoe" outdid himself yesterday. You have to realize that after a while here, even the most yummy papaya doesn't quite taste as good as the fresh fruits of summer back in the States. So, when we get a new boat load of fruits and veggies in town (about once a month), we are willing to pay big bucks for something like, ahem...broccoli. When Aaron came back home from the store yesterday, he grinned and handed me a small, white plastic bag. Inside were...gasp...eighteen beautiful plump cherries. He paid about USD $26/lb. for those tokens of love because he knew that they would remind me of a farmers market we discovered in Germany. There was a sign explaining that these had been air-freighted into Honiara to justify the extra expense. The lady at the checkout even double checked with Aaron to make sure he was willing to pay for the cherries before she rang them up :) I'm so thankful for this amazing man and for God's provision of simple pleasures like cherries.
"A soul without a mate is like a vase without flowers."

4 comments:

Ruthanne said...

I literally gasped when I saw the price! Ack!

What a sweet man. :D

Anonymous said...

I continue to be overwhelmed when I try to read aloud, the entries from the blog. I was reading to Mother and fell into tears...happy tears, 'cause I miss you all so and was so touched by the sweet ways of your hubby.

Nahna

Arin Rollins said...

Beautiful love story! Well done, Aaron!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful story! I can so see Billy doing the very same thing...a thoughtful husband is such a blessing!