Monday, August 24, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook







Please drop by and visit Peggy who hosts this fun journal!




For Today...Monday, August 24




Outside my window...yesterday morning we were awakened in the dark to hear the thwack of coconuts being opened. I fell back to sleep, but when I woke up, I could see that our neighbors were moving the hot rocks from a motu (an outside oven that steams the food with hot stones). I didn't realize anybody in town still cooked this way since the houses near ours all have modern kitchens. Made me miss the village! I just bought a pair of tongs at the market to help me move the rocks when I go back to Marulaon in early October.




I am thinking...that I am excited and a little bit apprehensive that I just signed up to host three different families for supper each week for the next five weeks!




From the learning rooms...History - Great Depression, Eleanor & Franklin Roosevelt, Marion Anderson, Sarah - word problems involving rate, writing the first draft of her research paper, Benjamin - gallons, quarts, pints, and cups for math, homonyms, Olivia - continuing simple multiplication, alphabetizing, Katherine - sorting colors & shapes, Science - beginning to explore the micro world, Language learning - listening to the recordings of our neighbors reading short custom stories and reading along



I am thankful for...conversations with other SITAG women about grace and authenticity




From the kitchen...muffins & papaya for breakfast, leftovers (my personal favorite) for lunch, and baked potatoes with cheese and BROCCOLI for supper



I am wearing...I just dumped my Tevas on the porch, but I still have on my stinky, sweaty walking clothes




I am reading...through resources in the Educational Resource Center as I prepare to start Sonlight Cores 5 & K



I am hoping...that we get our washing machine back soon. Every time I head up the hill to use another family's machine, I am reminded to be thankful that I'm not headed to the river to wash clothes by hand



I am creating...a welcoming home for my family and all of the travelers who will be passing through in the next few weeks



I am hearing...kids getting out the vitamins for breakfast, praise and worship music coming from the CD player, Benjamin finishing off the coffee in the pot



Around the house...switching our bedroom so that our house guests can have the "Master Suite" for more privacy



One of my favorite things...finding broccoli and carrots in the store!



A few plans for the rest of the week...lots of company, cooking and freezing to prepare for Conference




Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...





pure Olivia!

2 comments:

Nahna said...

I love pure Olivia!!!!! Nahna and Papa can do that too, but some folks cannot.

We love you.

LISA said...

What does SITAG stand for?
Can you get carrots and broccoli frozen if they do not have them fresh? If not, do you cook native plants as vegetables?(just curious) As always, your posts are so interesting. I will pray for you during your commitment to hospitality this month.