Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Marulaon Daybook

For Today...Monday, May 9
Outside my window...rain and three full rain tanks
I am thinking...that I feel like a music box slowly winding down.
From the learning rooms...early civilations in North, Central and South America, rise of the Roman Empire; Sarah - using transitions in writing, ; Benjamin - establishing a good hook in writing, finding averages; Olivia - using vivid vocabulary, multiplying and dividing by; Katherine - letter Q
I am thankful for...our mothers and grandmothers.  We are so blessed to have so many!
From the kitchen...meatloaf made from this week's ration of ground beef and full of the tiny bell peppers that have been plentiful at market lately and, on the side, cassava from our own garden baked in coconut cream to make use of the heated oven
I am reading...some of Aaron's Cadfael books by Ellis Peters, I'm getting ready for the Middle Ages
I am hoping...and praying that plans for furlough begin to come together
I am creating...a recipe for banana cake in Lavukaleve
I am hearing...the birds chirping merrily at each other, neighbor kids running around outside enjoying the rain bath
Around the house...piles beginning to accumulate as we prepare to go back to Honiara
One of my favorite things...feeling like I've communicated well with my neighbors
Pondering these words...A college dean once observed that the happiest students on any campus are the musicians and athletes.  "Why?"  I asked.  "Because they're disciplined, and they volunteered to be disciplined."  --Elisabeth Elliot
A few plans for the rest of the week...Eta coming Tuesday and Thursday (a bush garden day), language learning with Margaret on Wednesday afternoon
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...the kids playing "Bikoi"
playing bikoi

2 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

I know you can't see this yet, but the kids playing bikio reminded my of playing in Mother's tiny hall when I was little. We'd line our chairs up and pretend to be on a bus or plane. I love it that your kids still use their imagination to play - that is what happens when you don't have TV 24-7!
Blessings,
Ava

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Love the quote about being disciplined, from E.E. Amen to that!

And how funny - the kids playing Bikoi!

Hope your last few days finish strong :D

Julie