Monday, May 30, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, May 30

Outside my window...WINDY, the clothes are flapping on the line, the ocean has white caps

I am thinking...about my parents' 40th wedding anniversary tomorrow

From the learning rooms...a slower week using "Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome" as we ease back into life in Honiara

I am thankful for...the men and women who have died while serving our country and for those who still serve today.  Our family will be going to the US WWII Memorial later today to lay a wreath of flowers on the unknown soldier's tomb.

From the kitchen...yeasted chocolate coffee cake for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and tuna braid, cantaloupe (I was sooo excited to find some at market!), and green beans for supper

I am wearing...a red knee length skirt, and white t-shirt, blue sequin flip-flops, and a flag ribbon in my hair.  The girls and I all decided to wear red, white and blue today.

I am reading..."One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp, my copy finally came!  Thanks, Gayly.

I am hoping...that Chief Leonard shows up this week with the basket (hopefully minus the banana bread) we left in Marulaon

I am creating...a kitchen, fridge,  & freezer full of food made with eggs!  Eggs are scarce in Honiara right now, and we are always so hungry for fresh eggs when we come back from the village.  So, we are taking advantage of the eggs and preparing food ahead of time just in case eggs continue to be in short supply.

I am hearing...Katherine singing all of her favorite songs from Marulaon, traffic on Honiara's one main thoroughfare

Around the house...still a few boxes waiting to be explored (why do I still have the stuff if I think I can live without unpacking it for a few days?), bread rising, my school schedules spread all over the table as I hammer out the plans for the next few weeks

One of my favorite things...people willing to come over for supper on very short notice

Pondering these words..."When we lay the soil of our hard lives open to the rain of grace and let joy penetrate our cracked and dry places, let joy soak into our broken skin and deep crevices, life grows.  How can this not be the best thing for the world?  For us?  The clouds open when we mouth thanks."  --Ann Voskamp

A few plans for the rest of the week...tackling that mending pile, sitting down to respond to some snail mail, finish those boxes, start enjoying company again, prepare a box to go out to friends in the village

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...my mug "cozy" that Benjamin made me for my birthday last week


4 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Love the mug cozy! That is too precious!

quilt'n-mama said...

WE love the classical kids books- do you have the middle ages one?

I need to get back to doing my day book, thanks for sharing yours!
Blessings friend,
Gayly

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hi Joanna,

So glad to see you posting again, and getting settled in to Honiara. How are the girls' feet doing?

thinking of you,

Julie

Anonymous said...

Joanna!!!

So good to "see" you online! How neat you are reading "One Thousand Gifts!" So am I! My sister-in-love just sent it to me. How neat.

Much love to you and hope your package from me comes soon!

Kayla