Sunday, September 9, 2012

Family Reunions


We took a quick trip to Central Arkansas this weekend to attend a family reunion on Saturday.
 


I've always enjoyed family reunions, but after four years of not being able to see our families, this one was extra special.


My grandmother (the beautiful lady in red below) has seven siblings, and they are all still living.

 
They are all spunky, too. 


 
The organizers arranged the games so that young and old could play alongside each other, and four generations of Hughes spent the sunny, breezy day on the Arkansas River laughing and strengthening family ties.
 


Aaron got to play both of Grandma's brothers at horseshoes!
 


And my dad and youngest brother had a very serious horseshoes competition going on.
 



Even the younger boys got to play in the bracket with the men, and Benjamin got his first taste of victory playing his cousin before my dad soundly beat him in the second round.
 






I'm proud to belong to this family tree (even with five of my generation missing from this branch), and so thankful we are able to attend the reunion this year.
 


Both Aaron's mom and step-dad and my parents live in the same town, so Grandparent's Day on Sunday was quite a treat!

 
 After church, we all enjoyed eating lunch together, and after lots of hugs and kisses we hit the road for the drive back to Dallas.


I hope I never get used to living close enough to our families to share everyday life .
 


4 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Joanna, that is an absolutely gorgeous picture of you with your parents!

Choate Family said...

Thanks, friend! I was grateful to get to spend a little bit of time with them :-)

Joanna

Abi's Blog said...

Beautiful!I'm so glad you and especially the children have had time to spend with family. The picture with your parents made me cry.
Love you,
Ava

Herding Grasshoppers said...

What a lovely picture of you and your folks! And what a sweet family time :D

Julie