Friday, September 13, 2013

Lavukaleve Review

 
We've been reviewing some of our Lavukaleve verbs with homemade cards to play games like Go Fish and matching.
 
 
I thought maybe some of you might like to play along with us.
 
 
Leave a comment (or send me an e-mail) with your suggested matches,
 
 
and whoever gets the most will get a Solomon Island woven bag in the mail.
 

I'll pick one to fit the winner's personality.
 


The hypens on either side of the verb root hold the place of the many, many affixes we can attach to verbs in Lavukaleve.
 
 
Prefixes can include singular, dual, plural, feminine, masculine, and neuter markers, to name a few.  Suffixes can include so many things, but we're focusing on tense markers as we review.
 
 
Happy matching!

9 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

kwi - sweep
lau - cut
fulu - cook
hatari - ?this made me think of fireworks - sure that isn't it...
Have a blessed Sunday morning in the Solomons!
Love,
Ava

Bartokhound said...

Kayla typing, Jason guessing:

hatari=cooking on the fire
fulu=sweeping
kwi=cutting with scissors/spreading with knife
lau=planting a tree

:-)

AK/UJ

Choate Family said...

Great guesses! I'll give everybody a little bit more time and reveal the correct answers :-)

Joanna

Choate Family said...

Great guesses! I'll give everybody a little bit more time and reveal the correct answers :-)

Joanna

Bartokhound said...

Wait! Just noticed the up arrows in the tree picture - so, although our guess remains the same, we want to change the action to uprooting or digging up or reaping!

Love,

UJ/AK

Anonymous said...

I...can't even do this. Impressed that others can. My brain doesn't learn this way! Sorry. (Liss)

I gave up after seeing the picture of hot dogs attached to shooting stars...or whatever that was...

LISA said...

Here goes...I would not be able to communicate in any other language than my native tongue.

fulu - to pluck (boy with branch)
hatari - to cook
lau - to sweep
kwi - to cut

Email headed your way this week. You didn't know my email was just as slow as snail mail, did you? Glad to see all your posts. Nice to see all of you doing well:)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet idea!

I am currently learning an entirely different language, but this is a fun break :)

cut-kwi
uproot-hatari
sweep- lau
cook-fulu


Thinking of you often. Edi :)

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to guess? I'd forgotten! :o)
Okay, we choose:
cut-fulu
sweep-lau
cook-kwi
digging up a tree? not sure of the action but we choose: hatari
Emma did the guessing!
Love,
Margaret