Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Plant Nursery


This afternoon, several of the SITAG ladies, including Sarah and another young lady, drove out to the west side of town to peruse our favorite plant nursery.  It is SO beautiful once you leave the confines of town.  Besides buying flowers to make my porch feel more homey, I also wanted to find Maria who is from a village in the East Russell Islands.

 
 
We arrived and found that the morning's rain had watered the rows and rows of plants really well.  One of the little boys running around like all little boys in the village (wearing nothing) was excited to tell me about the river that was so big and fun to play in.  Everywhere we turned, we found more ladies and more plants.  You can see in the picture above that the bathroom was located just behind this table full of plants
 
 
I love how the ladies use whatever is available to pot their seedlings.  An empty chip bag, rice bag, or an old tire.  They often cut the edges of the tires into a zig-zag pattern to make them prettier.  They have such an eye for beauty.
 
 
I finally found my friend, Maria, and I also found a little Lavukaleve hiding in the recesses of my brain.  It was good to hear the language again and to try to practice making all of my affixes match, and it was good to come home with a big basket of beautiful plants (Maria kept putting "free" flowers in my hands),
 
 
but strengthening the relationship with Maria was absolutely the best part of the day.

 

5 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Very lovely - on all counts :D

Julie

Anonymous said...

You know what I love about you? You actively seek out and appreciate the beauty around you. Thanks for the great pictures and interesting story.

Love,
Liss

Leslie said...

Oh, what a beautiful place to get to go spend time, and two beautiful ladies.

Abi's Blog said...

Beautiful plants, beautiful ladies!
Love you! Remember looking at the plants in Canton! :) Wish I could shop with you there-I doubt US Customs would let me carry my purchases home.
Blessings,
Ava

Bartokhound said...

Beautiful, beautiful - two beautiful women, beautiful plants, beautiful use of resources (I like the recycled plant containers!), and beautiful how you see beauty where others may not, Joanna. You are beautiful!

Jayla