Thursday, November 21, 2019

Tuesday, November 19

“What we see as God’s recklessness is his way of putting into human hands an instrument of victory that he has carefully chosen and wondrously shaped for defeating the enemy and bringing glory to his name. God’s way may seem to be the hard way, but it is the winning way.” ~R. Arthur Matthews


I don’t like the last part of that quote, but my experience has proven that quote to be true. When I think about the times we’ve had the most meaningful conversations with our neighbors or the opportunities we’ve had to build deeper relationships, the way has been difficult.

I remember when I got cellulitis in my leg, doubled with malaria, for the third time during our first term and how discouraged I was, yet that opened the door for more language learning and for friends to come sit down on my porch and rub my leg with coconut oil. They saw that I have physical weaknesses, too.

I remember when my grandfather died while we were in the village and how I grieved. My neighbors held my hand as I cried, and we talked about our eternal security and abundant earthly lives.

So as I remind myself that #choatescandohardthings, I know that God has “carefully chosen and wondrously shaped” my circumstances to bring Him glory and that He equips me and grows me along the hard but winning way.

No comments: