Friday, November 15, 2019

Wednesday, November 13

My neighbors provided a bountiful market this morning, even in the rain, and I'm so thankful.  Our physical health directly corresponds to the amounts of fresh fruits and veggies we eat in the village.  I was able to buy long green beans, pumpkin leaves, slippery cabbage, bananas, one pineapple, cute little peppers, long skinny eggplant, lots of papaya, sugar cane, local nuts, and freshly cooked fish and cassava pudding.  It can be awkward when I'm the only one buying.  At one point, I asked my friends if I had skipped anyone, and they pointed out patient Rube (it's hard to believe he will be nine next month - I remember when he was born!) who brought a parcel of green beans.  It's important to buy at least a little something from everyone who comes.


On my way to visit a friend yesterday, I walked behind our house and heard the beeps of the BGAN.  When I looked up, I saw Aaron checking email on our veranda, which I've affectionately named then "Marulaon Internet Cafe".  We don't have internet, but I make sure we get the coffee!  Aaron has affixed a piece of wood to the porch rail and traced around the BGAN unit with a Sharpie.  Every time we want to check email, Aaron takes out the little BGAN box, plugs in all the right cords, and lines the box up with the Sharpie marks.  The box needs a clear line of sight with the satellite, so we can't check email when it's raining. I'm going to really make the most of the Marulaon Internet Cafe
experience, maybe I can even turn it into a little bit of a date!

No comments: