Friday, November 29, 2019

Tuesday, November 26


Yesterday, Mik and Lynn to us to an island near us that had some personal history. In 1999, just before the ethnic tension broke out in Honiara, a friend suggested that they and their three young children spend some time on his private island in the Russell Islands to escape the unrest. So they did. Yesterday, they went back to the same island to try and find the local guy who looked after them twenty years ago. As we sailed, Mik patiently trained his two new apprentices.


When we arrived, Mik and Lynn found the son of the man for whom they were searching and asked for permission to anchor and swim in the area. Like every part of the Russells, this area screamed God’s glory. Even when Katherine cut her toe on a clam shell standing upright underneath the water. Mik took her back to the boat and left Olivia and me on the shore. When nobody returned for us, Olivia decided to swim to the boat. Eventually, I asked the two kids to paddle me in their dugout canoe. I almost flipped us over several times, but we made it!

(photo of Blessing Island)

Katherine had a deep cut, but Mik and Lynn had her patched up in no time, and Katherine was a trooper. She helped me peel and chop and prepare lunch as the rest of our group swam and storied with the few people (a total of six adults and two kids) who lived on the tiny sandbar of an island. When everybody got back, fisherman Mik quickly seared some tuna steaks, and we sat down to a feast.


We finally returned home just as the sun set and Evening Prayer got started. Lynn wanted some fresh veggies to take along with her on the next leg of the journey, so I asked a couple of my friends if they had anything close to their houses I could buy so I could pass along the food to Lynn the next morning. My neighbors are so generous and willing to help.

No comments: