Friday, July 8, 2022

More May Days

 Jesus said that he is "gentle and lowly in heart" (Matthew 11:29).  That is a beautiful statement, and even without the Spirit one could respect and even marvel at it.  But the Spirit takes those words of Christ's and interiorizes them at the level of personal individuality.  The Spirit turns the recipe into actual taste. ~Dane Ortlund, "Gentle and Lowly"

During May, I enjoyed the opportunity to help proctor AP tests for several weeks at our high school.  I loved seeing so many familiar faces and cheering them on as they entered the room.  I hope this becomes another May tradition, and since our district uses only licensed teachers to proctor these exams, I have another good incentive to keep my license current.


Thunderstorms can hardly be called another May "tradition", but they do happen frequently this time of year.  When a strong line of storms came through, our part of town lost many of its old trees.  We also lost power in the middle of the night, so our morning coffee routine looked a little bit different as my capable husband rummaged up some dry wood and got the moka pot going.  My mom said our village living skills came in handy!


Benjamin made a quick visit to bring us some boxes as he packed up.  We'll store them in our attic until he and Hannah are ready for them. 


We took advantage of his strength, and he and Aaron took down most of a pecan tree that is slowly dying in our back yard.


While they chopped outside, I chopped inside.  


Some local sausage, chicken from my favorite farmer, and the last bag of last year's okra turned into a delicious gumbo for lunch.


Hanging out with our young adults is always refreshing!  Watching the Holy Spirit "turn the recipe into actual taste" encourages and strengthens me.

No comments: