Wednesday, July 13, 2022

End of the May Days

 God's job is to fix and change.  Our job is to depend, serve, and equip.  This is the work of grace.  And it's more restful than you can imagine.  

~Jeff Van Vonderen, "Families Where Grace is in Place"


As May gasped its last few breaths, several of us gathered at my grandma's house to help with yard work.  She still lives on Lake Conway, the site of many of my happy adventures with my grandparents since the early 1980's.


My dad and my cousin joined us and took the lunch break to mow and prune and enjoy some barbecue from our favorite place, Whole Hog Cafe.


May evenings are light enough and still cool enough to break out the firepit and make s'mores.  Katherine is an expert marshmallow toaster.


We borrowed some equipment from my mom and tackled our own yard.  How in the world do things grow so unwieldly so very quickly?  Katherine was also the expert hedge and bush trimmer.


My poor gardenias aren't doing well.  Again.  I only got a handful of blooms again this year.  


Memorial Day also fell within the last few days of May.  We attended the short ceremony at the cemetery again this year, and I bumped into a friend, Mr. Briggler, who I've known since junior high when his son sang in choir with Aaron and me.

"Depend, serve, and equip".  That's where we are right now.

No comments: