Monday, March 3, 2014

Honiara Woman's Daybook


Just for today...Monday, March 3
 
Outside my window...rain again.  Maybe it's a Monday morning thing?  We got a real humdinger of a thunderstorm early this morning, and it's been raining steadily this morning.  But since last Monday, I don't think we've had any rain.

One of my favorite things...when my husband does well.  One of the orthography workshops last week was on International Mother Language Day, and he took a picture of those who gathered in Mane Village.  So proud of his hard work to serve the Lavukal!
 

Crafting in the kitchen...the smell of baked oatmeal reached me long before I returned to the house after exercising this morning.  Tonight, we're looking forward to some company, and Katherine is head chef for spaghetti pie.
 
One of my favorite things...watching pineapples develop.  I never knew they had pretty little purple flowers.  Aaron took pictures of one of the pineapples growing out in my bush garden in Marulaon.
 
 
From the learning rooms...Katherine and I keep finding great picture books to accompany the history that the big three are studying.  This week, we are reading "Train to Somewhere" by Eve Bunting, "The Keeping Quilt" by Patricia Polacco, and "Peppe the Lamplighter" by Elisa Bartone.  We've arrived at Wagner and Tchaikovsky this week, so our book basket also includes "Adventures of Richard Wagner" by Opal Wheeler, "Tchaikovsky Discovers America" by Esther Kalman, and "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers:  Peter Tchaikovsky" by Mike Venezia.  We'll be watching some "Swan Lake" and "Sleeping Beauty" this week, too, I think!
 
Hearing...Wagner's Lohengrin Prelude
 
Pondering these words..."I sense that striving for wholeness is, increasingly, as countercultural goal, as fragmented people make for better consumers, buying more bit and pieces."  ~Kathleen Norris
 
A peek into my corner of the world...Aaron took pictures for me while he was in Marulaon.  My sad, empty beds where thriving Chinese cabbage should be growing,


the canoe where the marigolds have taken over and are keeping any pest off the tomatoes,
 


and the boys lined up waiting for the dancing to begin on St. Matthias Day.
 



No comments: