Monday, August 8, 2011

Honiara Woman's Daybook


For Today...Monday, August 8

Outside my window...skies that can't decide if they want to be sunny or rainy, my pot of mint on the porch going out of control (hello, watermelon mint smoothies!), and Frieda meticulously weeding by hand and "brooming" the ground, mango blooming and causing my sinuses to want to explode

 
I am thinking...about and praying for my sweet friend who will leave this week to go pick up another daughter from China.

 
From the learning rooms...no school this week, but we'll get back into the swing of things and watch Rome fall next week after we've unpacked in Marulaon


I am thankful for...a husband who is good at organizing & packing and people around the world who pray for us

 
From the kitchen...bar-b-que meatballs, veggie medley, watermelon, and cappuccino brownies with vanilla ice cream for dessert

 
I am reading..."Letters Missionaries Never Write" by Frederick Kosin; I go back and forth between laughing and crying - if you know a missionary, you should read this book


I am hoping...that the Bikoi gets repaired in time for us to go back to Marulaon on Sunday


I am creating...school lesson plans for Naomi and me to use in Marulaon, a grocery list for that "one last trip" into town


I am hearing...the coconut broom outside, traffic zooming by at the bottom of the hill, construction noises as the SITAG crew transforms the old office into a small new apartment

Around the house...it looks like a moving van threw up


One of my favorite things...a big bear hug

 
Pondering these words...
"What shall I do my God to love,
My God who loved, and died for me?
Obdurate heart, will nothing move,
Will nothing melt or soften thee?...
I want a heart to love my God,
I cannot bear this heart of stone;
Soften it, Savior, by thy blood,
And melt the nether millstone down."
-Charles Wesley


A few plans for the rest of the week...just to finish packing and to continue to nurture my family in all of the chaos

 
Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...my big girl on the rope swing.  Wow!  She's growing up fast.



4 comments:

quilt'n-mama said...

thank you friends for praying for us. I can't believe that in a week I will be holding our sweet girl.
Praying for you as you prepare to return to the village, for rest in the busy times, for quiet moments with the Lord with a cup of coffee...
Sending hugs to each of you!
Love the C crew

Anonymous said...

The moving van comment illicited an early morning guffaw from me! I love your journal posts; they are the closest thing to a good chat I can get with you other than Skype. Imagine a giant bear hug from me, darling sister!

Love,
Liss

Herding Grasshoppers said...

LOVE the picture.

Praying for you in the transition,

Julie

The dB family said...

I popped by quilt-n-mama. It brings back lots of recent memories. I will keep her and her family in my prayers too.

"It looks like a moving van threw up." That made me laugh out loud. I love reading your Honiara Woman's Daybook posts.

Blessings!
Deborah