Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wednesday, July 9

Today was a little bit of a "down in the dumps" day.  Our radio/e-mail didn't work for the majority of the day, our gas cylinder (think propane thank, it runs the fridge and the oven) ran out, and the front two rain tanks ran dry.  It's so easy to be discouraged because of our surroundings.  Then I think about my neighbors who don't have a fridge or an oven, nor do they have e-mail, and they, too, depend on our family's one remaining tank for water. Perspective. Thanks, Lord.
Skita & Translyn
Lately, I've been interacting a lot with the single mothers here in Marulaon.  I can quickly count ten single mamas who have either recently had babies or who are currently pregnant in Marulaon alone.  That's a huge number for our tiny little village.  My cultural eyes have been searching to find how these mamas and their little ones fit into the family structure here, and I always thought that they were absorbed with little ill effect.  But lately, I've been hearing from them how hard it is.  I don't know yet if the Lord is softening my heart and opening my ears to DO anything, or just to be a shoulder to cry on, a gentle reminder of God's ways, and an encouraging prayer partner.

No comments: