Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Tuesday, February 28

There are times when life in the village seems to be a series of events that have little connection to one another, other than that they are pictures of life in the village. This is one of those times. So here are your little pictures of life in the village.

All my life, I've been taught the truth of Matthew 10:42: "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." Honestly, I don't make my choices based on the reward I'll get. In addition, I've never lived in a place where anybody needed or asked me for a cup of cold water. Until we moved to Marulaon Village.

Yesterday afternoon, Sarah discovered that our sweet friend, Leku, was sick and asking for some cold water and some medicine. We've been told that the closest clinic has been out of medicine for several weeks. So, I went to visit Leku with a cup of cold water. She kept saying over and over again how nice it tasted and how it made her belly feel better. I shared a little bit of Tylenol and some chewable Pepto Bismol with her and prayed over her.

While I was hanging clothes out to dry this morning, I noticed smoke pouring out from the eaves of the church. Even though I know there are no electrical wires up there, my first thought was still "Fire!" I walked around to the other side of the church to find the church care taker burning last year's palms to make ashes for tomorrow's Ash Wednesday service. The fire was built up against the concrete block church, and the smoke was going straight up the wall, hitting the eaves, and billowing out the ends of the church. I'm glad I was mistaken.



We are back to school this morning. So proud of my hard working family! Yesterday we washed windows, mopped, wiped out the kitchen cabinets, and washed all of the dishes. All we have left of the deep cleaning is to wipe our books and flip through them for bugs. Since we'll be packing them up in just a few weeks, we'll just wait to clean the books. Now we are free to go ahead with school, especially knowing that Lent begins tomorrow and brings a few extra demands during the school day.

Aaron has paddled over to talk with Ezekiel. Our family was delayed three weeks because of the Kosco's engine problems, and the translation team missed some important time to work together. This morning's meeting will be a chance to figure out the new schedule and get things working smoothly again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently stumbled onto your blog via By Sun and Candlelight's instagram. Your family's mission has touched my heart; resonates deeply. We homeschool; I love languages; my husband has felt called to aviation missions & Bible translation all his life; many connections. I will be praying for you all. Thank you for sharing your journey with the Lord, and thereby encouraging us in ours. -Amanda B.

Nahna said...

Prayers for Leku. I do pray she is better and back to total wellness by now.
Thankful that school is back in gear and that you all are settled back in the village.
Prayers for Aaron and the translation committee to work well in the time God has given for this work.

Love you 6

Choate Family said...

Thanks for sharing such kind words, Amanda! I look forward to getting to know you better 😀