Monday, June 25, 2012

For today...Monday, June 25

Outside my window...the sun is shining and promising to push us into triple digits today.  So thankful that the humidity is low!

I am thinking...and praying for my parents who will be flying to Ukraine this week for their annual summer mission trip.

From the learning rooms...only a tiny bit of school this week with all of the wonderful people we get to see.  We'll be reading about the riches of Spain (from South America) and King Philip II, and the kids will be doing a little bit of math.

I am thankful for...grandparents who babysit on short notice.  Thanks, Oma and Opa!  What a gift to be close to grandparents again.

From the kitchen...I haven't been cooking much, and I miss it!  We're headed over to a pool party tonight, so we'll be enjoying hot dogs and hamburgers with all of the fixings.  Our contribution is just a plate of chocolate chip cookies (my mom's recipe, and as far as I'm concerned, the best recipe in the world)

I am wearing...clothes for a funeral.  One of our friends from HHBC died a few days ago at the age of 93, and the funeral is this afternoon.

I am reading..."Choosing to SEE" by Mary Beth Chapman.  Found it marked 90% off and couldn't resist buying it.  And I'm keeping tissues handy.

Pondering these words..."People need to know that Christian leaders, singers, preachers, writers, whoever, are as cracked and broken as the next person.  Maybe more so.  Hopefully they are in positions of leadership, though, because they are serious about following Christ, and so people can see that real success in the kingdom of God is not about being strong and looking good and knowing all the right answers.  It's about continually yielding oneself to Jesus and determing to take purposeful lttle steps of obedience, and the ragged reality that it's all about God and His grace at work in us."    ~Mary Beth Chapman "Choosing to SEE"

I am hoping...that because we spending a little extra time in Memphis, the many hellos and goodbyes won't be quite so hard

I am creating...absolutely nothing.  But that's okay.  I'm enjoying the life God has given me just for today.

I am hearing...giggles and humming and the general hum of a family of six as we get ready to leave the house for the day's activities.

Around the house...the chessboard has stayed out constantly.  If we are home, I can almost always find two of my kids playing a game of chess.

One of my favorite things...my oh so patient husband.  He beats Job any day.

A few plans for the rest of the week...more sharing about our work in the Solomons with friends and supporters.

Here is a picture I am sharing with you...these amazing ladies came over from their own churches to hear Aaron preach yesterday.  These were my choir buddies when we attended HHBC, and I sat in front of them on purpose during church so I could hear them sing together.  I hope I'm as spunky as they are whenever I qualify for "senior saint"!


5 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Sarah told me about that chocolate chip cookie recipe. Would you be willing to share it? :-)

The dB family said...

Ohhh,Choosing to See. I think I went through an entire box of tissues reading that book. Soooo good! I'm glad you have an opportunity to enjoy it too!

Sounds like you will have yet another good and busy week ahead.

Love those senior saints :o)!

Love and prayers!
Deborah

quilt'n-mama said...

Glad you are enjoying your time in Memphis. I read MaryBeth Chapman's book right after it came out. I cried and cried but was also encouraged in so many ways!

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Leslie said...

Oh, I've done that...sit where I can hear certain people sing.

Choate Family said...

Recipe coming right up, Ann!

A big thanks to the rest of you for leaving a comment. Nice to see a little chatter out there :-)

Joanna