Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Memphis Woman's Daybook

For today...Tuesday, June 19

Outside my window...MABTS (Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary) student housing.  This is our new home for the next two weeks.  Since Aaron received his MDIV here, we qualify for missionary housing.

I am thinking...about this verse from my daily Bible reading.  "Because you have depended on your own strength and on your many warriors, the roar of battle will rise against your people, so that all your fortresses will be devasted."  (Hosea 10:13b-14a)  May I guard against depending on my own strength and building fortresses.

From the learning rooms...I couldn't stand it any longer.  I began reading just a tiny bit of history to the kids.  In addition to "The Story of the World: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners", I splurged and bought the corresponding activity book.  Love it (especially the book lists).  So, as we drive in the van around Memphis this week, the kids will listen to little bits of history.

I am thankful for...a good report for a bloggy friend's son.  His cochlear implant just got turned on today!

Pondering these words..."The life of the friends of God is a life of profound risk.  The risk of loving others...The risk of playing the irreplaceable role that is ours to play.  Of course it is hard.  If it were easy, you'd see lots of women living this way."  Stasi and John Eldredge

From the kitchen...Mexican Casserole, a recipe from my childhood.  My piano teacher brought this casserole over when my little brother (who is now 32) was born, and it quickly became a family favorite.  Comfort food at its best.

I am wearing...a red t-shirt, denim capris, bare feet, and a beautiful necklace from my friend, Gayly.

I am reading..."On What Grounds" by Cleo Coyle.  Oma gave me some fun Summer reading from this series - coffee, great recipes and mystery, what a great combo!

I am hoping...that my eyes can adjust to contacts soon.

I am creating...a grocery list.  Got to go buy some groceries to fill up the fridge and our tummies for the next couple of weeks.

I am hearing...the air conditioner.  It was set at 68 degrees when we walked in.  Wow, no wonder I was cold.  Guess I've adjusted well to the heat of the Solomon Islands.

Around the house...unpacking suitcases.

One of my favorite things...seeing so many amazing people this summer.  It's like eating dessert every day!

A few plans for the rest of the week...meeting with loads of precious people that we haven't seen in four years.  And Sunday is "Choate Day" at Highland Heights Baptist Church, our sending church.

Here's is a picture I'm sharing with you...


Oma forgot her bathing suit over the weekend, so she asked Aaron and his brother-in-law to pick up one while they were at WalMart buying a couple of other things.  Those crazy guys bought her what she asked for, but in addition they bought her a bikini in a way-too-small size.  Guess which bag they handed her first?  It was a great practical joke, and she was a good sport through the whole thing.

3 comments:

LISA said...

I love Herding Grasshoppers and am praying for great results for Tate!

You guys are really busy and doing some great things on your time here.

So happy for all that family time you are gobbling up.

Blessings, friend...I think of you often and need to email you soon.

quilt'n-mama said...

Student housing has moved but reading your post brought back sweet memories of meals shared with you at the student housing apartments 8 years ago when God crossed our paths! Praying that you have an amazing time reconnecting in Memphis!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Joanna,

I've been so busy lately I haven't been keeping up on my friends' blogs - been missing you! Glad to see so many good things are coming your way :D

Julie