Tuesday, April 10, 2012

From February 8

Last night, one of our neighbors came to our door to tell us that Aaron had borrowed a cell phone and called them.  He requested that we give some petrol to the driver of a motor canoe first thing this morning so the canoe could come pick them up.  As soon as the bell for morning prayer rang, I lugged the petrol down the hill in hopes that Aaron would make it back from his workshop early today!

While in Honiara, one of our SITAG friends gave us a great poster of fish in the area.  For language learning today, I took the poster and walked around the village asking the names of each of the fish in Lavukaleve.  Red Snapper has no other name besides "snappa" - I found that fascinating.  I also learned how to ask "What's your favorite fish?"  The Lavukal don't use a word for favorite, they use the word for "think high" or "praise", the same word they use for praising God.

I went to check on the kids and found them motuing kino/cutnut while their friends' dad worked on making a canoe beside them.  They played, and I worked on my fish poster until we saw a tiny motor canoe far out in the distance heading toward Marulaon.  Sure enough, it was Aaron coming back home to us.  So nice to have our whole family together again.

No comments: